Pupil Premium – Explained
The last few months has seen a National increase in the number of families eligible for Pupil Premium support. Outlined below for your information is an explanation what Pupil Premium is, the benefits associated with it and how to apply. Please do read it – it is worth considering for the benefit it brings to your child.
Pupil Premium - What is it?
Pupil Premium is funding paid by the local authority/government directly to schools. For each child eligible for Pupil Premium the school receives £1345.00 per school year.
What are the benefits?
There are many benefits for both the child and the school these include:
- Additional funding to support learning, progress and overall achievement
- Targeted and bespoke support for your child in addition to the usual class support
- Support with learning and emotional needs
- Free School Meals (Which can be taken or not)
- Heavily subsidised cost of educational visits, residential trips and music tuition
- Supported access to school clubs
How do I know if I can apply for Pupil Premium?
To be eligible for Pupil Premium the family must be in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seekers' Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, provided you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit, and have an annual gross income, of no more than £16,190 as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs
- Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for working tax credit
How do I check eligibility for Pupil Premium?
A parent or guardian may wish to check their eligibility for Pupil Premium for a child in years R, Y1 or Y2 by going to the following link: https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/free-school-meals
or continued Free School Meals and pupil premium (from year 3 onwards) via the following link: https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/free-school-meals
If you do not have access to the internet or you would like the school to support you with the application check, please contact Mrs Sykes (firstname.lastname@example.org) or speak with Mrs Commins.
We realise that not all parents of the children who are eligible for Pupil Premium actually wish to apply. However, we would be grateful if you would support the school by letting us know if your child is eligible.
We strongly encourage all eligible parents/carers to apply for this status. No one will know who has registered and it will not affect any other benefits being claimed.
Any children who are entitled to free school meals, whether they take them up or not, means that our school is given extra funding to HELP support their needs.
We realise that information of this nature is very sensitive and we can assure you that all such information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
If you have any additional questions relating to Pupil Premium please come and see Mrs Commins or email Mrs Sykes: email@example.com
PUPIL PREMIUM STRATEGY This covers 3 years - 2020-2023
Open the document below to see the Pupil Premium statement showing the way in which we will be using the funding during the 2020/2021 academic year.